Monday, December 22, 2008

What Did T.G.I.F Mean For You?

Remember your childhood? Every adult around you thought anything you did was cute. After you got home from school, where you played half the time, you came home and played some more with your neighborhood friends. I used to play outside with one neighboor firend until it would get dark, and our parents made us come in for dinner. There were no worries while you "played", no one to impress or tiptoe around. Usually, there was no organization in my play either, just running around or lying in the grass was considered play for me.

Watching television as a kid used to be one of my biggest past times. I could just sit down for hours at a time, doing nothing, and not worry about why I'm doing nothing. Now as adults we tend to always be thinking about what we need to do next because we can never be alone, doing nothing for longer than five minutes.

Television is my thing, I mean I'm getting a degree in it, so of course I watch TV now, but only my favorite shows. At some point when I'm not bogged down with both regular and grad school work, I'd like to return to just watching TV and doing nothing. Do you remember Thank God It's Friday, or T.G.I.F? I loved that two-hour block of sitcoms that were on Friday nights on ABC. There was no other night you ever saw a full two-hour block of sitcoms! It was probably the longest, sustained time I watched TV in one sitting, but I loved seeing my favorite shows like "Step By Step", "Family Matters" and "Boy Meets World".

The old cliche "stop and smell the roses", is really something that should be incorporated in every adult's life. But, the demands and the benefits of jobs, making money and adulthood far outweigh the simple pleasures of life we all take for granted. In these case, employers should create more room for an employee's imput as far as creative and imaginative ideas are concerned. There are too many jobs out there that rely on people doing the same thing over and over again without any creative spark. An adult on the job may never get to the point of lying on the ground and interpreting objects out of clouds in the sky or watching hours of television, but any creative imput might bring that adult a little closer to their own carefree childhood.

No comments: